“Ask a Nurse”Falls in the Home
"Ask a Nurse"P: Senior care when a loved one falls in the home
Hello I am writing this so that we have clear advice or guidelines about the right way to go about senior care when an elder person falls in a home. I need to know what to tell my 80 year old Mom who lives alone; should the unfortunate event arise that she falls in her home.
Thank you for your question and it is one that is of course is a concern to families who have an elderly loved one who is living alone- and who may fall.
It is of course a very good idea to provide your loved one with some sort of life line emergency call device support. Providers for this are listed on the internet.
Here is our advice when it comes to falls in a home
What to do after a fall if you CANNOT get up – If you feel any discomfort or are unable to get up, try to get help.
- Call out for help if you think you can be heard.
- If you have an emergency call device or telephone at hand- please use it.
- If you don’t, try to slide yourself towards a telephone or a place where you will be heard.
- Make noise with your cane or another object to attract attention.
- Wait for help in the most comfortable position for you.
- If you can, place a pillow under your head and cover yourself with a piece of clothing or a blanket to stay warm.
- Try to move your joints to ease circulation and prevent stiffness until help arrives.
If you CAN get up – The first thing to do is to catch your breath. Check and see if you are injured, even if you think you’re OK, take your time before getting up again.
- Lie on your side, bend the leg that is on top and lift yourself onto your elbows or hands.
- Pull yourself toward an armchair or other sturdy object then kneel while placing both hands on the chair or object.
- Place your stronger leg in front, holding on to the chair or object.
- Stand up
- Very carefully turn and sit down.
To further assist a loved one to avoid elderly injury, help them to practice these steps often in order for them to be prepared in case they fall.
Contact us at Qualicare Family Homecare if you want more advice on how to practice senior care.