It’s no secret that the home healthcare industry is growing. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 1.3 million additional jobs within the home care field will be added between now and 2020.
Which means that more and more Americans are choosing to stay at home as they age, and who can blame them? When it’s your turn to choose a home healthcare agency for your loved one, the team at Qualicare wants you to know the important questions to ask.
Are You Asking the Right Questions?
When it comes time to choose a home healthcare agency to help in caring for your loved one, the process can be stressful. While you, of course, want someone with experience, you also want someone who fits in well with your family and will care for your loved one the same way you would.
The following questions can help you find the right fit in a home health provider.
- Will my loved one have the same caregiver every time?
- Are you certified by Medicare and Medicaid?
- What specific services do you provide?
- Are your caregivers bonded and insured through your agency?
- What are your privacy practices, and may I have a copy? Remember, patients have rights.
- What process do you use to hire and assess your caregivers?
- Has your agency won any notable awards?
Should You Add More Questions to Your List?
While the questions listed above will give you a good starting point, you may want to dig down deeper when it comes to choosing the right provider. That’s where these questions can help:
- What does your pre-employment screening look like?
- Do you have additional screenings each year?
- What if my loved one doesn’t approve of the caregiver or wants a new one?
- How do you evaluate your caregivers?
- How often do you evaluate your caregivers?
- What training do you provide to your caregivers?
- What is the process for reporting non-compliance?
- How do you respond to emergencies?
Of course, always continue to ask questions, even after you begin working with a home healthcare agency. You should fully understand the care being provided to your loved one at all times.
Are you starting to look for quality home care services for your loved one? Visit the Qualicare website today to learn about our 360-degree approach to care when it comes to providing services for you and your loved one.